History of the Congregation
Congregation of the Sisters of Charity (CSC)was founded on 21st November 1944 at Chowannur, Thrissur Dt., Kerala by the Venerable Fr. Augustine John Ukken (1880-1956), a holy and dynamic priest of the Archdiocese of Thrissur. It was by being urged by the compassionate love of Christ that Reverend Father Augustine John Ukken, whose heart was flooded with kindness towards the poor, fascinated many young women who, endowed with simplicity of life and sense of dedication, to join the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity in order to become witnesses of Christ in the world by the uplift of the poor, downtrodden and marginalised.
The Mother House of the Congregation was established at Chowannur near Kunnamkulam, an undeveloped and remote area of Thrissur and it was a Jacobite centre. The Pioneers of CSC are Reverend Mother Mary, Reverend Mother Kochuthressia, and Mother Rita.
The Apostolic See approved the statutes and raised the Congregation to the status of Pontifical Right on 18th May 1995. The Congregation of the Sisters of Charity flourished with the Providence of God and spread across in India and abroad. Now it has three provinces – Maria, De Paul and Santhome.
Congregation of the Sisters of Charity(CSC) is a religious congregation of Pontifical Right for women in the Syro-Malabar Church which received the patrimony of faith from St. Thomas the Apostle. The congregation is governed by the Code of Canons of the Eastern Churches(CCEO) as well as the particular law of the Syro- Malabar Church in accordance with which, this congregation, its provinces, and houses legitimately created are by law itself Juridical persons.
Our congregation has embraced an integrated lifestyle of prayer cum action for God and His people by identifying oneself with the crucified Christ, living a life of consecration having its source in the Holy Qurbana, with the spiritual energy flowing from tapas(penance) and meditative reflection, committed in the vows of obedience, chastity, and poverty, serving the poor by radiating the compassionate love of Jesus and ensuring the salvation of souls. The mission of the congregation is the proclamation of the the Good News of the Kingdom of God among the poor and the downtrodden by offering services in the fields such as healthcare, value education, evangelization, uplifting the differently abled, family welfare projects, vocational training centres, caring for the old destitute,the marginalized, the prisoners and their families.
CSC is a religious and charitable association of a religious minority group within the purview of the constitution of India.
The Spirit of Our Congregation
We have received from our Founder the humble spirit of compassionate love that we experience in our daily communion with Jesus Christ, the crucified, in our personal as well as community life, which we share with the poor and the needy through various life-giving acts of charity. After her experiential witness, “I will be love in the heart of the Church,” St. Therese of Lisieux dedicated herself fully as an oblation of love. It was the amazing and childlike trust in God the Father and her intense and passionate love for Jesus that made the Little Flower a saint and a model for our community. Our Founder, after having personally lived in the path of self-emptying sacrificial love, bequeathed the same to his daughters in the CSC Congregation.